10 March 2006

Toledo

So I finally made it to Toledo this last weekend. At first the roads were snowy, and two hours out we stopped and almost turned around because bus traffic was prohibited in Madrid. Things worked out in the end though and we finally made it. It´s another fairly small city, rich in history. What I loved the most was just the landscape surrounding the city. It´s surrounded on three sides by the Rio Tajo. It´s known as the city of three cultures for having housed Christian, Jewish, and Islamic peoples simultaneously. This mixture is noticed throughout the city in the Mudejar style architecture. Of the 9 synagogues that once existed, only 2 are left. Anyway, it was an awesome day and much warmer than Segovia. Here´s a shot of the city from a lookout point.

Of course, Toledo has a Cathedral as well. This one happens to be the 2nd largest in Spain, and the 5th largest in the world. (Take that Pearl.) On the inside it has two stunningly huge organs.

And what city would be complete without a castle. Also referred to as Alcázar, this one was closed for renovation, so this is the best view I got. It´s situated on top of the hill.And then my favorite part. This is the Rio Tajo (River Targus). On the hill on the left is an old school/training house for infantry.
And proof I was there.

2 Comments:

At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope. I don't believe your fifth largest cathedral remark as I couldn't find anything about it on the web. It's not York's fault that the minster is Anglican. And I think I still beat you on the big cathedral mark. If only Cork had one...

I also saw the Westminster Cathedral on Sunday. I didn't really mean to see it. We were trying to find Harrods, and, well, there it was.

 
At 4:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew, hi! It's Katie, your cousin all the way from Arizona! My mom was just down visiting everyone in Florida and I guess your dad told my mom about this and she sent me the link to your blog and so here I am. Wow, I can't believe you're in Spain! That's so cool, are you just loving it? One of my good friends is actually studying there too right now. I wanna say she is in Alicante?? Does that sound familar? I can't remember what it is called. Well I just wanted to say hi, or hola I guess to you now. If you wanna email me, my email is katieraeray@hotmail.com. Let me know how things are going, it's been a long time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home