01 March 2006

Segovia

Since our trip to Toledo was postponed until this coming Sunday, my friend Ann-Alexia of Greece asked me to come with her to Segovia. In my same province, it's about a 3 hour bus ride east and north. It's a fairly small city and has three main points of interest for us. (As a side note the city itself is a UNESCO world heritage site.) What she failed to tell me was that it would be -9 C in Segovia. Excellent...

It has a Roman Aqueduct, a Cathedral, and Alcázar. The Roman Aqueduct dates back to the end of the 1st century AD or perhaps the beginning of the 2nd. It's built from unmortared granit blocks and to me, is pretty amazing.Here's the Cathedral. To me it's very similar to the one we have in Salamanca. I read the informational packet which I forget at the moment, so I'll spare you the details.
Finally, Alcázar is a castle on the western edge of the city. Because of a fire in the 1800's, the building I saw yesterday has very little to do with the actual castle first built in the 11th century. It was the site of the marriage of Queen Isabella of Castille to King Ferdinand II of Aragon. Apparently the castle in Walt Disney theme parks was inspired by Alcázar.This is the entrance. The castle is surrounded by a deep trench which, unfortunately, no longer houses water nor alligators.
This is from the top of the keep seen in the first picture.
And finally one picture from inside Alcázar. There were also a number of suits of armor. This picture isn´t great. It was dark... Pretty, though.

3 Comments:

At 10:39 PM, Blogger Lyra Wiggin said...

sounds like all is well....cept the -9 degrees eewwww. but the pictures are great, love the tidbits and keep em coming :) and having fun. greek girls are the best. and half greeks are twice as best. what other trips you have planned?

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger steelsuzette said...

Cool buildings! Oh, when will I ever be able to go to Europe? Apart from traveling, how's life going? poke.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Sazzly said...

Wow! A moat! Que fantastico.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home