27 February 2006

Alba de Tormes

Well as it turns out my trip to Toledo was cancelled. It was snowing all Saturday and Sunday. It was the second time since being here that Salamanca has gotten more than its yearly dose of snow. I'm afraid that I brought it with me. Here are the Cathedrals in the snow. The picture doesn't do it justice. The city is absolutely gorgeous in the snow.
It's also gorgeous at night. I need to find a stand so I can take better pictures. I manage to blur them all with the longer exposure times.
Here you see the northern lights of Spain...or I was breathing and taking pictures at the same time...oops. Below is the Calle Compañia.
Anyway, I should get to go to Toledo next Sunday. Tomorrow I'm traveling with a friend (Alexia from Greece) to visit Segovia. Yay Roman Aqueduct!

Today I visited Alba de Tormes with a few friends. It's a small town not far from Salamanca (20 km). It was the final resting place of Santa Teresa de Jesus. The priest there told us a lot about the history, and they have a small museum. This museum includes on display Santa Teresa's left arm and heart (yes really) on display in some very ornate glass and gold cases. Kinda scary. The rest of her is in an ornate sepulcre. He said that the last nun to inspect her body and place it in it's current spot wrote in the documentation of how the body was entirely intact and preserved. Here's the view from the city. It's situated on a hill. The countryside is pretty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home