16 February 2006

Cemetery

Things here in Salamanca continue to go. Wow so many words to learn. It’s crazy…getting better, but still crazy. It’s been about 3 weeks. I should have it down by now right? Ah well. I visited the cemetery which is crazy huge. (Today’s blog brought to you by the word ‘crazy’) The only other time I’ve seen so many graves was at Arlington National, but this was impressive in a different way, as they are all above the ground. There’s a wall around the cemetery, and even the walls serve as graves. Strangely, all of the tombstones are relatively recent. The oldest ones I could find are from the 1940’s. My Trinitarian friend, Yamir, suggested that the city isn’t actually that old. Yes, downtown and the cathedral and such have been there forever. However, my side of town and the giant cemetery; not so much. He said that their home/complex was built 30 years ago, and at that time they had no neighbors whatsoever. Now it’s apartment buildings as far as the eye can see.

Anyway, here's the entrance to the cemetary.
Well I’ve started volunteering. Thus far I don’t do a whole lot, but once a week I’m helping a Moroccan girl with her English. She came here a few years ago not knowing Spanish, and hence, couldn’t take part in the Spanish education system. Now she’s working on completing equivalency tests, so she can continue to study if not at a university, then at least at a trade school or the like. Needless to say, this helps me equally much with my Spanish, so it hardly counts as volunteering.

Mostly I’ve just been going to class, and exploring the city. My house is a 15 minute walk from the school, and I make that trip 2-3 times a day. I probably average 7-8 miles a day. Some are less when I need to take care of classes and work, and some are much, much more. I think my body is getting used to it. My calves are in a constant state of rock hardness, and the skin on my feet is thick like none other. Lovely, I know. Guess that’s all for now. Hopefully my life will be filled with exciting things to write about in the near future.

1 Comments:

At 8:18 AM, Blogger steelsuzette said...

ooh, pretty cemetery. wish i could visit it... i like cemeterys. at least, i like the ones in new england. and that one looks cool too. very cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home