29 January 2006

Catedrals

I took the time to visit the Cathedrals yesterday. It was a spectacular view of the city from the towers. Yay pictures! Sorry, in no particular order.A view of the old and new cathedrals from the other side of the roman bridge over the river Tormes.

Inside


Looking back towards the center.

Then in the evening it snowed. I feel right at home in the snow, so for me it was great. The rest of the city seemed to enjoy it too. Everyone was out throwing snowballs. What I learned this morning was that it’s extremely rare for it to snow the 1-2 inches or so that we got. On the news people are saying they can’t remember it ever snowing this much.

Last night I ran into Americans for the first time since arriving in Spain. It was a group of nearly 30 students from BC doing an away program in Madrid. It was good to speak English and talk about some of the things that are so different here. Things like the fact that our host families insist on opening the windows for the fresh air while they’re trying to heat the house and it’s 4 C outside. Also there’s an entire leg, hoof and all, of a pig in the kitchen just covered in a towel. Oh and the milk is in a box and it’s not refrigerated. This scares me a little. To be fair though, the food has been great. The only real meal of the day is lunch, and it’s two different dishes followed by dessert.

Today I need to go out and finish finding a few school supplies. I feel like I need to start taking classes so I have some direction, but it’s a pretty scary thought. It took me about 40 minutes to muddle through a newspaper article yesterday, and I still don’t understand all of it.

1 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. And we should play the "my cathedral is better than your cathedral" game.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home