02 February 2006

Erasmus

Today I went to my remaining two classes. If it’s possible, these two professors spoke even faster than the first two. I can tell that I am already understanding more. It comes and goes. By the end of the day I was understanding more words, but sentences and the meaning of the sentences still confuse me. One student told me that it was difficult to follow the professor’s train of thought anyway, so I didn’t feel so bad. I just need to figure out what I need to do for my classes. It is clear to me what is expected in only 1 of my 4. Argh…

Today I met many Erasmus students. They were speaking English since none of them are great at Spanish and they don’t speak each other’s languages. To me this is strange. I think it’s amazing that they can all speak 4-5 languages moderately well and 2 or 3 fluently. Ann Marie is the only American I know that studies languages so extensively. I think if I get through Spanish, I’ll be happy with myself. I don’t know if it’s just because our pronunciation is closer the Spanish or what, but I don’t have nearly the accent or problems that the German and French students have. Many of the Germans are speaking Spanish words, but to me it sounds like German. One French student has been here a semester and I wouldn’t have guessed he was un extranjero (foreigner) and another French student I couldn’t understand at all. As far as I can tell, foreign students make up maybe 1/3 of the student population. I have no idea really, but it’s crazy. It seems the majority of Spanish students look on us with disdain, or it could just be that it’s annoying not to understand all the people walking around speaking English. I need to try to find a native Spanish speaker to befriend. I also need a break from concentrating on every word. Hopefully it will come. Poco a poco, no?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home